Be prepared to evacuate
In the event of an evacuation, you will want to be prepared. You will want to make the following a part of your family’s evacuation:
- Fill your vehicle with fuel as soon as you hear you may have to evacuate
- Make an “escape kit” including
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Prescription medicine and glasses
- Copies of important documents
- Cash, traveler’s checks, and change
- Blankets and sleeping bags
- Change of clothing
- Personal hygiene items
It is important to remember that you may need to stay at a public shelter and you will want to make you and your family as comfortable as possible.
The Red Cross also has brochures that will assist you in preparing for a disaster.